I glance around at the people surrounding me, then at the wealthier class sitting in higher rows. Their seats are better, but Mary and I could never afford it. The people of the upper class that are sitting above us are dressed nicely, and some of the wealthiest women are even adorned in ornate masks. There are three levels of seating above us, and they all look relatively packed. I wonder how many people this place could hold—Mary thought one or two thousand, but I would guess something more like three thousand! I gaze even farther upward, toward the architecture of the theatre. The roof above the stage is decorated to look like part of the scenery—the sky, I suppose. Everything surrounds the stage, which is right in the middle of the place.
As the
play starts, the crowd quiets only a little.
This appears to be a social function as much as it is
entertainment! There are even people who
paid extra money sitting on the stage. However,
it is not hard for me to get lost in the play.
The plot is incredible, and I am immediately entranced by the
star-crossed lovers. It’s just so
romantic! I don’t understand everything
that’s being said—partly because it can get hard to hear the actors over the
crowd, and partly because the language of the play can get a little bit unusual,
but I understand the underlying message. When the fight scenes occur, I gasp,
and when Romeo kills himself just as Juliet wakes up, I feel tears welling up
in my eyes. This William Shakespeare
fellow is a genius.
As Mary
and I leave to walk back home, we bump into some friends who suggest going out
to the local hang out spot, a friendly neighborhood tavern. They were as impressed with the play as we
were—and they said another play may be coming soon!
Hi Megan,
ReplyDeleteGood job on your first blog post! You did well to include many aspects of the prompt and the informational video about the Globe Theatre in your response. You vividly describe the atmosphere of the theatre's interior, and expressed well your narrator's appreciation of the play, "Romeo and Juliet." I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.