http://open.spotify.com/user/1221236253/playlist/6SirIH297kfhCXtlWkItNJ
1. I Just Can't Wait to be King (The Lion King) This song very literally describes Macbeth's desire to be king. As soon as he hears the Weird Sister's prophecy, he is obsessed with the idea of becoming king.
2. I'll Make a Man out of You (Mulan) Lady Macbeth sits Macbeth down when he is having doubts and bullies him into killing the king, questioning his manhood and doing basically what the title of the song states, promising to "make a man out of him."
3. Dirty Little Secret (All American Rejects) Once again, this song pretty literally represents how Macbeth and Lady Macbeth must keep the murder of the king their "dirty little secret."
4. Ghost (Neutral Milk Hotel) Although much of this song does not go along with Macbeth, the first line, "Ghost, Ghost, I know you live within me" describes the relationship between Macbeth and the ghost of Banquo. Macbeth is the only one who can see the ghost of Banquo.
5. Viva La Vida (Coldplay) Most of the lyrics to this song fit the story of Macbeth's rise and fall of power. I especially liked the lines "One minute I held the key/ Next the walls were closed on me/ And I discovered that my castles stand/ Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand." Macbeth had it all for a while before he lost it.
6. Eye of the Tiger (Survivor) Macbeth is willing to do whatever it takes to survive. He stands up to "the challenge of his rivals" by killing the family of Macduff.
7. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid (The Offspring) Many of the lyrics to this song describe Macbeth's rise to power. For example, "With a thousand lies and a good disguise/ Hit 'em right between the eyes" (referring to the murder of the king) or "There's someone in your way/ And now someone is gonna pay" (referring to Macduff).
8. All I Do is Win (DJ Khaled) When Macbeth goes to the Weird Sisters for more prophecies, they make him overly confident in himself, so that he feels like all he can do is win.
9. Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Green Day) Near the end of the play, with the suicide of his wife and the advancing of Macduff's troops, Macbeth feels utterly alone and depressed.
10. I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty) Even when Macbeth knows he is going to lose to Macduff, he continues to fight to the death. He refuses to back down.
Nice playlist. It's pretty funny to think of Macbeth and "Eye of the Tiger" together, but entirely appropriate. I also liked your inclusion of Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down." I will not yield! Good job.
ReplyDelete