Thursday, April 5, 2012
Children and Nature
Children and Nature
To be a child again! With eyes so bright
To revel in nature, to see with awe
To admire the stars and the moon in the night
To know and understand what it’s like to be small
The children, they still know the magic of earth
They have not become too busy to see
Nature and its beauty and all of its worth
And the splendor that has been lost to me
We rush and we hurry throughout the day
We don’t take a minute, we won’t take an hour
To do like the children and take time to play
To lay in the grass, to admire a flower
I watch them and see their simple joys
They don’t need much to make them smile
What we see as plain, they love and enjoy
Children understand the best life style
They know the smell of books, the taste of tears
The warmth of hugs, and the cold of snow
They know the night time chill of monster fears
And the promise of time still to grow
Children have an awe of life when they’re so small
And from them we have so much we can learn
I wonder—why do they want to grow at all?
Instead, to childhood we should all return.
I watched a child, her happiness so pure
Where does this go as we grow and mature?
I wrote this poem in the style of William Wordsworth. William often wrote with common language, preferring natural sounding words over the lofty and pretentious sounding poetry of the day. Therefore, I tried to write simply and without using many elaborate metaphors. But at the same time, he definitely tried to make his poems flow and have a very lyrical rhyming pattern. One of his most common styles was ABAB CDCD EFEF, etcetera (which is what I followed in my poem). He also wrote often in stanzas of eight lines, which is also what I did in my imitation poem. One of his themes was of children’s connection to nature, and how people often lose this connection as they grow up. I wrote my poem on this theme as well, loosely based on his “Intimations of Immortality.” Out of all the Romantic poets, Wordsworth tried to connect to human feeling the most, which is why I liked his poetry the best. I also liked how he did not use elaborate language because his simple analogies and images make his poetry still understandable and relatable, even today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I enjoyed reading your poem. You did a great job of capturing Wordsworth's preference for the child's perspective and his veneration of the natural world. I think Wordsworth would agree with the idea that we're all born as poets--it's just that some of us keep up the habit whereas others let it atrophy. Good rationale for how your poem adheres to the conventions of Romantic poetry.
ReplyDelete